Monday, August 18, 2014
This was a big year for back to school at the Little House. J is starting 2nd Grade and Miss Kenndy is starting PreK. Both are starting new schools. We were all nervous. I am a planning lunatic and I felt very ill informed going in, but some how we eventually got it all together!
Jaydan's teacher is Mrs. Spivey. We hear she's wonderful. He's starting at West Jackson Primary, which we have heard nothing but WONDERFUL things about, but the change in scenery meant Little Man was very nervous. He'd made some good buddies in our neighborhood over the summer, but none of them were in his class. He actually cried a bit when it was time to leave and I DIED. I didn't anticipate that, so it took me by surprise and crushed my heart. I finally just had to walk out and I was reassured by email that he was fine shortly after.
Kennedy started summer camp at her new school in June. It went.... alright. She's resistant to change and slow to warm up so there were lots of tears during drop offs this summer. So I didn't know what to expect. Her teachers are Ms. Jessica and Ms. Mallory and I'm thrilled to announce that she LOVES it! I'm not sure if its the new teachers or being with slightly older kids or what but its a night and day difference! She was clearly a little nervous, but she did NOT cry and waved me off like she'd been doing school every day for her whole life!
Posted by Torikay at 12:20 PM
Wednesday, June 18, 2014
I can hardly believe that my little baby girl is 4 years old! Where has the time gone? You have rolled with the punches through all of this transition and I know change is not easy for you! You're a trooper!
At FOUR you are:
1) SUPER sassy..... good Lord, we will have our hands full with this one as a teenager!
2) So cute..... I mean I know I'm your Mommy, but seriously. You have those gorgeous curls and huge grey eyes and that dimple..... sigh.
3) You have a sweet side too. You are still my snuggler and when you sleep with us you will ofter just say in the middle of the night "Mommy, I love you".
4) Precocious. You suddenly are sounding very grown (and attitudy) and have been known to tell us that this child or that at daycare is "a problem" or was "starting some nonsense". Sometimes you get ahead of yourself and don't make a lot of sense, but often you hit the context on the head and its a bit scary.
5) Getting braver... you are determined to go to Granny's with Bubba this year w/out me. I have some concerns about it but you insist that you're ready.
6) Reluctant..... you like things to be predictable. You like the familiar and don't love change. You hated Disney, don't like anything that is loud or bright (fireworks are a no go), shy and a bit tentative. You're working on getting bolder though and I hope you'll continue to challenge yourself to try new things.
You are our sunshine.... your sweet smile could brighten any day! Its hard to let my baby grow up but its so much fun to see who you are becoming! Love you the whole wide world, sweet girl!
Posted by Torikay at 3:29 PM
Wednesday, May 28, 2014
Oh, son..... where do I even start? We've had a lot of changes in the last months so things have been kind of wild! You have always wanted to have a party at our house but our old house was just too small. So, this year, we had a party for you and Sissy together at the new house. It was fun! We invited your best buddies over and you all played horseshoes, golf and basketball in the yard. You said it was your best birthday ever!
You are growing so, so fast!! I feel like I just blinked and you're this big, rational thinking kid... not a baby anymore at all!!
At 7 you are:
1) So fun... you still like to entertain with your wit, dancing and here lately singing (very animatedly). Something tells me that throughout your life you will be the life of the party!
2) Kind. You make me so proud when you willingly give up something you want or share something you have for a friend or your little sister. You have a HUGE heart and that is my very favorite thing about you.
3) Busy. Our house is a constant stream of running feet, thrown and bouncing balls, crashing cars, etc. You have a basketball hoop on your bedroom door and I hear you up there CONSTANTLY shooting lay up after lay up or "dunking". Also, interesting, you love basketball on your ipad and have learned tons of players and stats..... I think you may have your Daddy's memory for sports data!
4) Smart. You use your smarts for both good and evil ;)
5) NOT sucking fingers (finally). At your 7 year check up the dentist, was like "Dude, you gotta stop". You had pretty much stopped except for at bedtime once you got into school but we'd tried nasty nail paint, bribes, threats the whole nine. Finally you were smart enough to come up with the idea of wearing a glove to bed. It feels weird enough that if you do it when you're sound asleep and don't know you're doing it.... you stop! I told you you were smart!!
6) My pride and joy. Not every day is easy.... but everyday my heart is full because of you and your Sissy. I could not be any prouder of you and I would not change one single thing about my big seven year old!
Posted by Torikay at 3:15 PM
Wednesday, June 26, 2013
Kennedy at three you are:
*So funny..... every day we see a little more "spice" coming out in your personality and you have become quite the character. One of your favorite things to do is hold up your index finger, shake it furiously back and forth and scowl for all you're worth!
* A sweet girl, you are always rubbing an arm, or playing with my hair or just giving kisses and snuggles. You carry a blankey around with you when you first wake up, so make sure you're ready to cuddle up with whoever is handy!
* Charming - over the last month or so you've gotten in the habit of when you catch a grown up looking your way, you will wink and give a thumbs up. You're so little that it catches people off guard and they are instantly disarmed and at your service! :)
* Still pretty timid.... you are "skewed" of a lot still and pretty tentative about new people, places, things.
* Kinda bossy..... Bubba would say you're VERY bossy ;)
* So precious. You bless us every day and our lives are even more full because of you! You start preschool in August, so this is going to be a big year for you.... can't wait to see how you blossom! Hard to believe my baby is three years old!
Posted by Torikay at 8:05 AM
Tuesday, May 28, 2013
Jaydan at six you are:
* Still INCREDIBLY funny. We just never know what you're going to say or do because of that we are always just a tiny bit nervous ;) But most of the time whatever it is, ends up being pretty comical!
P.S. Your teacher MAY have had to ask you not to dance at school at time or two :/
* Super smart (just like we've always known). You KILLED Kindergarten and are reading and writing well above your grade level. You were given "Skill Master" awards all four quarters, which is like Honor Roll for Kindergarten. My proudest moment of the whole year though was when your sweet teacher told me at conferences, "Jaydan is such a good boy, he's often the one I point out for the other kids to emulate". THAT meant even more to me than how smart you are!!
* All boy!! You go 100 miles an hour and Dad and I feel like we're constantly saying "Jaydan get down. Jaydan don't run. J don't stand on the couch. J put on your helmet. Jaydan SIT DOWN". There is never a dull moment with you around.
* Some of your favorite things to do right now are to play video games, swim (this one is huge), play basketball in the driveway and play legos.
* Still love your family fiercely. You tease your poor Sissy to death, but would fight anyone else who did so and are so sweet and loving to Dad and I.
* Still sucking those fingers..... sigh.
Happy, Happy Birthday sweet boy. We couldn't be any more proud of the big boy you are becoming! It's hard to be sad to leave that tiny baby behind when such an amazing young man is taking his place a little at a time! We love you to the moon and back!!
Posted by Torikay at 12:46 PM
Tuesday, December 11, 2012
Posted by Torikay at 7:54 AM
Monday, October 8, 2012
Jeff was able to coordinate some vacation time with Jaydan's Fall Break, so we packed our bags and headed to Florida.
Jeff's cousin and her family ended up coming that weekend, too..... they have two boys (11 months apart!!) and a newborn baby girl! The boys all played so well together and we really enjoyed spending time with their parents and baby Victoria, too.
Due to weather and changing tides, etc. it looks different every single time we go out there, but its fairly private and easy to get to. The boys (big and small) fish, we play in the sand and if I'm lucky I get a little reading in, too! Even Zoe (the family dog) loves it!
Jeff and I even got to sneak away for a date night with April and Little cousins Addie, Laura and Aaron. Fun was had by all..... even if my husband did embarass me a little with his fancy dancing ;) Its good to get some time with other grown ups too!! Especially other grown ups that are as fun and fabulous as this group is!!
Posted by Torikay at 1:07 PM