Monday, May 3, 2010

Gestational Diabetes

I learned about two weeks ago that I've got gestational diabetes this go-round. I guess it shouldn't have come as a surprise, here are some of the risk factors:
1) Family history of type II diabetes (check)
2) Previous baby weighing greater than 8.5 pounds (check.... kind of. J was 6.6 lbs almost 6 weeks early).
3) Overweight prior to pregnancy (check.... shocking I know).
4) Maternal age great than 25 (check).

So yeah, I suppose I should have seen it coming..... the thing is.... I DIDN'T. I have been so much more careful about weight-gain this pregnancy and over all I FEEL so much better... this was kind of a punch in the gut. I barely failed, which means that they believe they can control it with diet alone but it means sticking my fingers four times a day and trust me, between this and the Progesterone shots, I feel like a human pin-cushion (and I'm not ALL that fond of needles anyway).
Ok, enough with the whining. There is SOME good news in this. They sent me to a nutrition class and I actually learned a lot, so I feel a lot more empowered about this whole thing now. I will be going to the doctor every week now, and they will NOT let me go until my due date, so now we know that Miss Kennedy will be joining us some time prior to June 25 (hopefully not too much prior). And at my check up last week they were VERY pleased with my numbers and said I was going a fantastic job! And the best thing..... this goes away after delivery. It was a bit of a wakeup call though and I'm trying to make long term changes to the way we eat, so that we don't have to deal with this again down the road. One diabetic per household is plenty!

2 comments:

Jana said...

So sorry Tori! You are doing a great job and baby Kennedy will be here before you know it. Hang in there and get lots of rest!

Anonymous said...

Sorry Tori!! It sounds like you are doing well and I'm glad your class was helpful!! I had to pretend I was diabetic in college for several days and prick my finger. I know how awful that is. I had Mindy do it for me, I could hardly bear it. I have heard the lancets/meters have improved to be less painful, I hope that is the case. Take care of yourself!! Thanks for sharing the cute pictures of your son. Julie Robinson