Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Not Totally Terrible Twos

You hear a lot about "terrible twos" and the kids and parents trying to survive them. And yes, at our house we have our fair share (maybe more) of the tantrums, screams of "NO WAY", "MINE", etc. But what you don't hear much about is the FUN side of this age. At 20 months, Jaydan is able to more or less communicate what he wants to do, eat, etc. He will now walk to and from the car, just holding my hand and I don't have to carry him all of the time! He is able to run, dance, climb to his heart's content. He's funny. I think the things with kids this age is that they just FEEL a LOT! Anytime I walk in the door, he runs for me yelling "Mama" (finally just started saying that.....we'll save that for another blog). Whenever you are down on his level picking up toys or building a fire or whatever.....he will bowl you over with a great big hug. He can reciprocate some of the love that we've given him all of this time and he does so spontaneously now......he kisses you because he wants to and not just because you asked him to and he's performing. He tries to imitate everything you say and most everything you do....this can be good and bad.
Of course, some days are better than others. He still does and says a lot that I don't like. One example: he will NOT say "excuse me". Twice now, in public I will try to squeeze by someone and say "excuse me" and he will start yelling "Wove, wove". SO EMBARRASSING! He also now says "wove" when he toots.......apparently "move" means the same thing as "excuse me" in all contexts. But at least I'm TRYING to teach him manners (right Granny?). Anyway, this entire blog is devoted to defending "two". Maybe its just because my kid has always been a challenge and I don't know any better..... but I think two (almost anyway) is wonderful!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for two! That all sounds like so much fun. I think it will be so exciting to hear Brendan say, "MaMa!" I bet is just makes your heart melt. I am happy that all is well for you guys!